How to drive yourself insane with 64-bit Office and Access Runtime

I have been going nuts for some weeks now, though some would argue that I’ve been nuts for multiple decades.  Not long after I started this job I asked for the 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Office so that I could use the full 16 gig of RAM on my desktop for SQL Server.

And it was good.

We finally got everything done to get us a VM, which was also 64-bit.  So I installed Access Runtime x64.

And it was not good.

When I got my SQL Server installed and configured on the VM and ran my Access app, with LOTS of VBA code behind the scene, I got the following error:

The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted.  Deleting the VBA project removes all code from modules, forms and reports.

Delete all my code.  RIGHT.  That’s a total non-starter.  After MUCH digging I came to the conclusion that it was the x64 Office that was the root of my problems.  So I ripped out my x64 Office from my desktop and laptop, installed x32, tore out the x64 Access runtime from the server, installed the x32, and all was well.

Except it wasn’t.

The 32-bit ACCDE of my project still got the same error message using the runtime.  But the full version did not.  So it looks like users will be running the full ACCDB version when it goes in to testing.

I cannot count how many reboots that I’ve done today between the three systems.  I hate rebooting systems as a matter of principle.

Apparently there’s an issue with the 64-bit, and sometimes with 32-bit, that trips the error message.  The best thing to do is run 32-bit and apparently don’t apply any service packs to office, which I definitely do not like.  But at least everything looks like it is running now.  For licensing purposes I want to have users running the ACCDB through the runtime so I don’t have to have a hundred Microsoft Access licenses, we’ll see how I pull that off.  Hopefully it should be easy enough.

BTW, here’s a link to the Google search results on the specific error message and some more detailed explanations as to exactly what the heck was going on.


SQL Server 2014 SP1 released!

You can download it here.  I just finished updating my third and final machine this morning.

Brent Ozar has created a new web site called where he maintains the latest CUs and SPs for editions 2005 and later.  Very nice one-stop shopping for all your SQL Server update needs!

SQL Server 2014 Cumulative Update 7 now available, plus Ozar live-tweet and 2014 SP1 update

Apparently it released 11 days ago, I saw it in SQL Server Central’s weekly newsletter.  You can get a link to download either the x86 or x64 versions for both the database and ODBC here.

Regarding 2014’s SP1, still no news as to when a new version will see the light of day.  But at least we have CU7.

Brent Ozar live-tweeted from yesterday’s Ignite conference keynote speech.  Sounds like typical keynote blather: new toys, some of which won’t work, some won’t work like they displayed them, some could be cool.  I wasn’t too keen on the announcement of SQL Server 2016, I really wish they’d stop with this new version every other year.  I think it will encourage people to look at hanging on to their older versions since the rate of change is beginning to exceed people’s capacity to absorb the new features.  Microsoft recently announced end of support for SQL 2005 next year, which means 2008 will be EOL’d in four years.  At least the 2014 installation that I’m working on will still be supported when I leave this job.